[Numpy-discussion] More loadtxt() changes

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Nov 25 17:23:42 EST 2008

John Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> A la mlab.csv2rec ? It could work with a bit more tweaking, basically
>> following John Hunter's et al. path. What happens when the column names are
>> unknown (read from the header) or wrong ?
>>
>> Actually, I'd like John to comment on that, hence the CC. More generally,
>> wouldn't be useful to push the recarray manipulating functions from
>> matplotlib.mlab to numpy ?
>>

> Yes, I've said on a number of occasions I'd like to see these
> functions in numpy, since a number of them make more sense as numpy
> methods than as stand alone functions.

John and I are in agreement here.   The issue has remained somebody
stepping up and doing the conversions (and fielding the questions and
the resulting discussion) for the various routines that probably ought
to go into NumPy.

This would be a great place to get involved if there is a lurker looking
for a project.

-Travis