[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for changing the names of inverse trigonometrical/hyperbolic functions

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 24 17:55:19 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Francesc Alted <faltet at pytables.org> wrote:
> So, IMHO, I think it would be better to rename the inverse trigonometric
> functions from ``arc*`` to ``a*`` prefix.  Of course, in order to do
> that correctly, one should add the new names and add a
> ``DeprecationWarning`` informing that people should start to use the
> new names.  After two or three NumPy versions, the old function names
> can be removed safely.
>
> What people think?

+1
It seems there is a fair amount of favor for adding the new names.
There is some resistance to removing the old ones.  I would be happy
to deprecate the old ones, but leave them in until we release a new
major release (i.e., NumPy 2.0.0).  We could start creating a list of
API/ABI clean-ups for whenever we find a compelling reason to release
a new major version.  In the meantime, we can leave the old names in
and just add a deprecation note to the docs.  Once we are ready to
release 2.0, we can release a 1.x with deprecation warnings.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley