[Numpy-discussion] status of numpy 1.3.0

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 10:39:31 EST 2008

Well, talking about support to 2.6:

When using explicit outputs for some functions (eg, ma.max,
ma.min...), a value that should be masked is transformed into np.nan
when the explicit output is not a ma.MaskedArray. That worked great in
2.5, with np.nan automatically transformed when the explicit output
had a int dtype. With 2.6, a ValueError is raised instead, as np.nan
can no longer be casted to int. What should be the recommended
behavior ? Raise a ValueError or some other exception, or silently
replace np.nan by some value acceptable by int dtype (0, or something
else) ?