[Numpy-discussion] Compile error during 32 bit compile on 64 bit machine

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 3 23:33:22 EST 2008

Brian wrote:
> Greeting,
>

> I am trying to install numpy on the same system into to different
> prefixes, one dedicated to 32 bit stuff and the other to 64 bit.  The
> machine is a dual CPU Core 2 Duo machine, that is a 64 bit native
> machine.  Getting the 64 bit version to work is no problem.  But cross
> compiling numpy for 32 bit binaries is very troublesome.

I don't think it is possible to cross compile numpy (or any extension
based on distutils for that matter) without bypassing the build system
and building it by yourself. Distutils does not support cross
compilation at all (except on windows for 32 vs 64 bits).

How did you build your 32 bits python on the 64 bits OS ?

cheers,

David