[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed May 21 10:20:12 EDT 2008

Hi Bruce

2008/5/21 Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com>:
> I would like to throw out the following idea with no obligations:
> IF people have the time and energy while writing the documentation, can
> they also test that the function is doing what it is expected?
> Also related to this is developing appropriate tests if these are not
> covered or at least provide a file of code used in evaluating the
> functionality.

We are adding examples (read: doctests) to every function, which serve
as unit tests at the same time.  In writing these, we do come across
bugs (like http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/798), for
which tickets are filed.  This is a documentation drive, though, so
the examples are illustrative; we don't aim to write exhaustive unit
tests that cover all corner cases.

That said, any person who wishes to contribute unit tests is most
welcome to do so.  I can guarantee that your patches will be applied
speedily :)

Regards
Stéfan