[Numpy-discussion] [Numpy-svn] r5198 - trunk/numpy/f2py

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Tue May 20 01:29:29 EDT 2008

CC: numpy-discussion because of other reactions on the subject.

On Tue, May 20, 2008 1:26 am, Robert Kern wrote:
> Is this an important bugfix? If not, can you hold off until 1.1.0 is
> released?

The patch fixes a long existing and unreported bug in f2py - I think
the bug was introduced when Python defined min and max functions.
I learned about the bug when reading a manuscript about f2py. Such bugs
should not end up in a paper demonstrating f2py inability to process
certain
features as it would have not been designed to do so. So, I'd consider
the bugfix important.

On the other hand, the patch does not affect numpy users who do not
use f2py, in any way. So, it is not important for numpy users, in general.

Hmm, I also thought that the trunk is open for development, even though
r5198 is only fixing a bug (and I do not plan to develop f2py in numpy
further, just fix bugs and maintain it). If the release process
is going to take for weeks and is locking the trunk, may be the
release candidates should live in a separate branch?

Pearu