[Numpy-discussion] numpy.distutils: building a f2py in a subdir

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun May 18 06:38:27 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:14 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I would like to be able to build a f2py extension in a subdir with
> distutils, that is:
>
> config.add_extension('foo/bar', source = ['foo/bar.pyf'])
>
> But it does not work right now because of the way numpy.distutils finds
> the name of the extension.

Is foo a subpackage and the extension is supposed to be imported as
parent.foo.bar (assuming the setup.py is for the "parent" package)? If
so, you want this:

config.add_extension('foo.bar', source=['foo/bar.pyf'])

If the source is just in a subdirectory, but bar.so should be imported
as "parent.bar", then you want this:

config.add_extension('bar', source=['foo/bar.pyf'])

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco