[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Andreas Klöckner lists at informa.tiker.net
Sat May 17 10:48:40 EDT 2008

On Samstag 17 Mai 2008, Joe Harrington wrote:
> To head off another pedagogical meltdown, the University of Central
> Florida has hired Stefan van der Walt full time to coordinate a
> community documentation effort to write reference documentation and
> tools.

This is truly excellent news. One question though: I didn't see Travis's Numpy
book mentioned at all in your writeup, so I am wondering where its role in
the doc effort is. Its home page states that it will be opened on Sep 1,
2008, apparently in time for classes, and it already provides parts of what
you propose.

Mainly: while we need to respect Travis's copyright, a duplication of the
massive effort that went into the book hardly seems sensible. One initial
question is therefore: Is it OK to copy material out of the book and into
other parts of the documentation?

Andreas