[Numpy-discussion] Going toward time-based release ?

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Mon May 12 16:42:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Eric Firing <efiring at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>  As one who pushed for the MA transition, I appreciate your suggestion.
>  It may have one unintended consequence, however, that may cause more
>  trouble than it saves: it may lead to more situations where the ma
>  versions are unintentionally mixed.  This will probably work if an
>  old_ma array ends up as input for a new_ma function, but the reverse
>  often will not work correctly.

Good point.  I now agree that it is best to avoid having the old code
accessible via np.core.ma.  If the old code is only accessible via
np.oldnumeric, then I don't see any reason to add a deprecation
warning since it is kind of implied by placing it in np.oldnumeric.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley