[Numpy-discussion] [IPython-dev] mercurial now has free hosting too

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Mar 26 06:45:00 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:26:13PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> > Look, I am not talking about theory,

> I was not talking about theory:
>     - svn co url -> bzr co url
>     - svn commit -m "bla bla" -> bzr ci -m "bla bla"
>     - svn up -> bzr up
>     - svn log -> bzr log
>     - svn blame -> bzr blame
> You cannot be more concrete than that :)

Except that very often when you do a "bzr up" you have to do a merge
because bzr makes obvious branching that is implicit with the svn model.
In addition following the evolution of the trunk is harder because
version numbers are harder to understand. Morever if you don't look at it
with a tree view, you don't understand at all what is happening, and
launchpad doesn't display a tree view, and under windows "bzr viz" (which
rocks) requires a bit of work to get working.

Thrust me, I have seen people quite often come up to me and ask me "what
do I do now?". Little details like the "bzr merge;bzr conflicts; vim
conflicting files; bzr resolv; bzr commit; bzr push" confuse people. Once
again, the tool is much more reliable than svn, and once you have
understood it, its a breeze, with less bad surprises, but many people
don't want to learn.

Gaël