[Numpy-discussion] how to build a series of arrays as I go?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Mon Mar 17 13:52:11 EDT 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using xlrd to read an excel workbook containing several columns of
> data as follows:

Generally, arrays are not efficiently re-sized.  It is best to
pre-allocate, or simply create a list by appending and then convert to
an array after the fact as you have done.

If you need to resize, then use the resize *function* which basically
handles the creating of the new array.  However, it also replicates the
data, which may not be what you want.

-Travis O.