[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Mar 7 22:36:14 EST 2008

Joris De Ridder wrote:

> Thanks. I've a few questions concerning the objections against ctypes.
> It's part of the Python standard library, brand new from v2.5, and it
> allows creating extensions. Disregarding it, requires therefore good
> arguments, I think. I trust you that there are, but I would like to
> understand them better.  For ctypes your extensions needs to be
> compiled as a shared library, but as numpy is moving towards Scons

Please note that a full move toward scons is not likely to happen soon.
It will have to be the default build system for both numpy and scipy,
unless someone hacks a ctypes-based extension builder (e.g dynamically
loaded library builder) for distutils.

Another issue is the detection of a 3rd party library to be usable by
ctypes: this should be easy to do in distutils, and not too difficult
for scons.

cheers,

David