[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 6 19:11:55 EST 2008

I'm not a pyrex/Cython expert, but....

Joris De Ridder wrote:
> Pyrex is kind of a dialect, so your extension modules would be nor
> python nor C, but a third language.

correct.

> Is this indeed easier to maintain?

yes, because while you can write C extensions in C, you need to use the
quite complex Python/C api, and get all sorts of things like reference
counting, etc right too -- that is hard.

Also, with Cython, you can quite easily mix Python and C in one place,
so you truly only need to put the performance intensive bits in Cython
specific code.

> When you would like to use legacy C code for an extension, would you
> rewrite it in Cython?

no -- you can call regular old C from Cython, so you can use it to write
wrappers, too.

> What are Cython's advantages compared to ctypes?

for ctypes, you also avoid the wrapping code, but your C code needs to
be compiled as a library, and can't use python types directly, which is
more limiting.

I think Cython is easier for someone not very experienced in C, and no
harder for someone who is.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov