[Numpy-discussion] Record arrays

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Thu Jun 26 12:45:12 EDT 2008

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am documenting `recarray`, and have a question:
>>
>> Is its use still recommended, or has it been superseded by fancy data-types?
>>
> I rarely recommend it's use (but some people do like attribute access to
> the fields).    It is wrong, however, to say that recarray has been
> superseded by fancy data types because fancy data types have existed for
> as long as recarrays.
>
> I believe pyfits uses them quite a bit, and so they deserve to be
> documented.
>
> -Travis

Travis is correct.  PyFITS uses recarrays quite extensively.  It was the
large, legacy numarray project I was referring too. ;-)

I had forgotten about the attribute access.  I know a number of people
who use that feature in conjunction with matplotlib for plotting data in
tables, especially during interactive use.

Chris

--
Christopher Hanley
Systems Software Engineer