[Numpy-discussion] Sparse Matrices in Numpy -- (with eigenvalue algorithms if possible)

Robin robince at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:10:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Dan Yamins <dyamins at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) Finally: (and this is slightly off topic) -- I've just installed SciPy
> for the first time.  In the readme.txt for the download it mentioned
> something about having LAPACK and ATLAS installed.  However, on the scipy
> install page (for OSX, http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X), it
> doesn't mention anything about LAPACK and ATLAS -- and the instructions
> there that I followed worked without any need for those packages.    Do I
> need them?  Or are they only necessary for making certain routines faster?

On OS X it is usual to use the optimised BLAS provided by the
Accelerate framework (at least that's what it used to be called I
think). In any case - you don't need them because Apple provides an
optimised blas (which is used as an alternative to lapack and
atlas)... You could use lapack/atlas if you wanted but installation is
probably simpler following the instructions on the wiki to use the
apple one...

Robin