[Numpy-discussion] [numscons] Would having two mandatory scons script per package be acceptable ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jun 12 01:08:32 EDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:

> Can you give me a longer story? What are the three lines? Why are they
> necessary in a separate, boilerplate file?

Sure: scons builds everything from the sources in the source directory,
and build everything in the build directory.  By default, both
directories are the same as the directory where the scons script is.

Now, this is of course unacceptable to use with distutils, and scons has
this notion of build directory to change this: depending on where the
scons script is called in the tree, I change the source and build
directories accordingly. But for this to work, you have to change how to
refer to source and targets in builders (scons objects to build things
like object code and libraries). Again, unacceptable, so I did remove
most of those in the scons scripts using severals 'tricks' in numscons.
But the more I did those tricks, the more I realized it was fragile, and
could break in obscure cases.

The recommended way to do it in scons is to use a second scons script:
http://www.scons.org/wiki/UnderstandingBuildDir. The 'problem' is also
linked to the fact that instead of building everything with one scons
project, I have one scons project per package (because that's how
distutils worked, in particular, and for other reasons I can develop if
you want). I asked about doing the same thing as scons does without two
files, but this seems difficult (I was told it is 'magic').

http://scons.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=13642

cheers,

David