[Numpy-discussion] Installation info

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:36:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:49 PM, David Cournapeau <
david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
> >
> > The presence of these functions should have been detected by the
> > configuration process of numpy. HAVE_FREXPF and HAVE_LDEXPF would have
> > been #define'd if we had detected them correctly. It is possible that
> > our configuration process for this does not work correctly with VS
> > 2008. From a clean checkout, can you please do the build again and
> > copy-and-paste everything printed to the terminal?
> >

> As an aside, I don't understand how the configuration is supposed to
> work there: why do we define HAVE_LONGDOUBLE, etc...  for a serie of
> functions ? I don't understand why for example testing for expf is
> supposed to be enough to guarantee the presence of the whole float
> functions (HAVE_FLOAT_FUNCS). What is the rationale for that ? Why not
> testing for every function we are using ?

It probably just grew to fix problems as they arose. It should be possible
to test for every function and fall back to the double versions that are
more reliably present. It would be nicer if all compilers tried to conform
to recent standards, i.e., be less than 9 years out of date, but that is a
bit much to ask for.

Chuck