[Numpy-discussion] distutils and inplace build: is numpy supposed to work ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jul 31 10:18:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

    I wanted to know if numpy was supposed to work when built in place
through the -i option of distutils. The reason why I am asking it that I
would like to support it in numscons, and I cannot make it work when
using distutils. Importing numpy works in the source tree, but most
tests fail because of some missing imports; I have a lots of those:

ERROR: Check that matrix type is preserved.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/media/src/dsp/numpy/trunk/numpy/linalg/tests/test_linalg.py", line
69, in test_matrix_a_and_b
    self.do(a, b)
  File
"/usr/media/src/dsp/numpy/trunk/numpy/linalg/tests/test_linalg.py", line
99, in do
    assert_almost_equal(a, dot(multiply(u, s), vt))
  File
"/usr/media/src/dsp/numpy/trunk/numpy/linalg/tests/test_linalg.py", line
22, in assert_almost_equal
    old_assert_almost_equal(a, b, decimal=decimal, **kw)
  File "numpy/testing/utils.py", line 171, in assert_almost_equal
    from numpy.core import ndarray
  File "core/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    __all__ += numeric.__all__
NameError: name 'numeric' is not defined

Is this expected, or am I doing something wrong ?

cheers,

David