[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@bioinformed.com> bioinformed at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 10:34:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:43:17PM +0200, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> > Startup performance has not been a numpy concern.  It a concern for
> > me, and it has been (for other packages) a concern for some of my
> > clients.
>
> I am curious, if startup performance is a problem, I guess it is because
> you are running lots of little scripts where startup time is big compared
> to run time. Did you think of forking them from an already started
> process. I had this same problem (with libraries way slower than numpy to
> load) and used os.fork to a great success.

Start up time is an issue for me, but in a larger sense than just numpy.  I
do run many scripts, some that are ephemeral and some that take significant
amounts of time.  However, numpy is just one of many many libraries that I
must import, so improvements, even minor ones, are appreciated.

The morale of this discussion, for me, is that just because _you_ don't care
about a particular aspect or feature, doesn't mean that others don't or
shouldn't.  Your workarounds may not be viable for me and vice-versa.  So
let's just go with the spirit of open source and encourage those motivated
to controbute to do so, provided their suggestions are sensible and do not
break code.

-Kevin