[Numpy-discussion] Template system

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 11:12:26 EST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 4:12 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:
> > OK, so far I've knocked it down to 35KB by removing stuff I'm not
> > interested in. It is now smaller than Cog, and 7x larger than the file
> > we now use to do the same job. I'm pretty sure I can make it leaner than
> > that. It remains extensible.
>
> Can you put a tarball up somewhere? Django generally requires environment
> variables to configure itself. There is a way to configure these from
> code, but
> it looks like that pulls in django.conf. This is my primary source of
> discomfort

Yeah, I had that problem running Django straight from the box.
Pain.In.The.Ass. However, the easiest way to just get the template subsystem
out is to delete a bunch of files and rename global_settings to settings.
Then I also changed the name django to something else and put some imports
in the __init__, but you don't have to do that. Easily done with a script.

> with using Django templates. My experience with using Django components
> outside
> of a Django web app has been frustrating. The more modifications we make,
> the
> more we have to maintain. And if any of it causes problems for someone
> trying to
> build numpy, that's more questions we need to answer. I want to answer
> numpy
> questions, not Django questions.
>
> I would be much, much more comfortable with an implementation that can
> simply be
> dropped in without modification.

Well, now I'm all hot to see how small I can make it while keeping the
ability to add bits back in. You've got me digging through the code with the
usual results. The configuration file is gone entirely, I'm cleaning up
other bits, and getting rid of automatic html escaping, caching, and  other
such serving nonsense because, well, I don't need it.

Chuck