[Numpy-discussion] Intel MKL - was: parallel numpy - any info?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jan 9 23:56:28 EST 2008

Ray Schumacher wrote:
> At 10:38 PM 1/8/2008, Albert Strasheim wrote:
>

>>> It is still unclear to me whether Python/numpy compiled with MKL
>>> would be freely re-distributable, as the MSVC version is.
>>>
>> Read the License Agreement on Intel's site. My interpretation is that
>> it would be redistributable.
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/266854.htm
>>

> That was my thought also, but IANAL. Given the number of people
> who've evidently compiledPython/numeric with it I was left wondering
> why there are no binaries to be found.
> We've been using the Enthought distros, and our company now has
> (finally) decided to purchase the ICC and MKL with the intention of
> compiling for P4 and Core2 targets. The binaries could then go up on
> the company's web site.

This issue was already discussed a few weeks ago (December 2007), and
the last word was although MKL would not be used for the default binary,
a link to a binary built by someone else could be added to the scipy
download page.

Of course, you better have to make sure the license agreement does
permit what you think it says, since your company would bear the
responsibility for it as far as I understand it.

The one thing which I am not sure about is:  say one MKL binary does not
work, and say I (or anyone outside your company) build numpy with the
MKL ro debug it, can I redistribute a new binary, even if it is just for
testing purpose ?

cheers,

David