[Numpy-discussion] Using svnmerge on numpy: am I missing something ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jan 8 01:56:05 EST 2008

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

> 2008/1/8, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
> <mailto:matthieu.brucher at gmail.com>>:
>

>     2008/1/8, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
>     <mailto:david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>>:
>
>         Matthieu Brucher wrote:
>         > Hi David,
>         >
>         > How did you initialize svnmerge ?
>         As said in the numpy wiki. More precisely:
>             - In a svn checkout of the trunk, do svn up to be up to date
>             - svn copy TRUNK MY_BRANCH
>             - use svnmerge init MY_BRANCH
>             - svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
>             - svn switch MY_BRANCH
>             - svnmerge init TRUNK
>             - svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
>
>         One thing which is strange is that in the numpy trunk, you can
>         see the
>         following as svnmerge-integrated:
>
>         Property svnmerge-integrated set to
>         /branches/build_with_scons:1-4676
>         /branches/cleanconfig_rtm:1-4610 /branches/distutils-revamp:1-2752
>         /branches/distutils_scons_command:1-4619
>         /branches/multicore:1-3687
>         /branches/numpy.scons:1-4484 /trunk:1-2871
>
>         Does that mean that you cannot use svnmerge with several
>         branches at the
>         same time ?
>

>     No, this is what I expected. Could you send us the content of
>     svnmerge-integrated for the build_with_scons branch before the
>     merge ?
>
>     Matthieu
>

> Oups, safe for the "/trunk:1-2871" part. This should be deleted before
> a commit to the trunk, I think.
Yes, that's what I (quite unclearly) meant: since revision numbers are
per- repository in svn, I don't understand the point of tracking trunk
revisions: I would think that tracking the last merged version for each
branch to be enough (for the kind of merge svn does, at least). If trunk
version are tracked, then I would expect two branches using svnmerge to
clash each other,

cheers,

David