[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Sun Jan 6 14:41:06 EST 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>

>> I don't think it is time to move wholesale to something like Mercurial
>> or bzr.   I would prefer it if all of the Enthought-hosted projects
>> moved to the (new) system at once,  which is not going to happen in the
>> short term (but long term of course it's an open question).
>>

> I think that's irrelevant. There is absolutely no reason that we should force
> all of the Enthought-hosted projects to move in sync.
It is relevant, because I have my hands in all of them.  I don't want to
have to keep up with too many different systems at once.   Perhaps it's
selfish and immaterial to others, but it is relevant to me.
>  We would have reason if we
> were being asked to host a different centralized VCS with a complicated server,
> but hosting Mercurial or bzr is nearly trivial. We already do it for me:
>
>    http://www.enthought.com/~rkern/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi
>
> The remaining thing we would have to support is the Trac integration. While not
> as trivial as simply hosting the repositories, it's not a very large commitment.

Trac integration is exactly what I'm thinking about.   If it is easy,
then it is not a big deal, but I have not seen arguments or evidence
that it is the case (or suggestions of something to use other than Trac
-- which is also a bigger deal for moving everything at once).

-Travis O.