[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sun Jan 6 02:11:11 EST 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
>> 4) SVN is very, very, popular. Lots of folks use it, they use it on all
>> common platforms, and there are tons of clients for it. I work with a
>> bunch of folks that really don't like a command line (for programmers, I
>> think that's just plain weird, but there you go). I could never sell a
>> VCS that didn't have a decent GUI client on Windows and OS-X.
>>
> I don't understand this argument: do your co-workers use scipy now but
> would not if the code source would be kept under a VCS which has no
> GUI ?

Sorry, that wasn't the point. My co-workers (and most folks) use
numpy/scipy by downloading binaries, or maybe tarballs, so what VCS is
used is, indeed, pretty irrelevant to most users.

Would good multi-platform GUI support of the VCS make for more
contributers to numpy/scipy? I don't know. At least at the numpy level
the kinds of folks that are likely to contribute are probably
command-line savvy, etc (though the command line on Windows really,
really sucks!)

My point was that there is a benefit to using a widely known and used
tool that lots of folks are using for their own projects as well. I use
SVN every day, and I'm far more likely to go get and look at SVN head of
some open source project because of that. I'm kind of dreading that I'll
soon need to figure out svn, mercurial, and who knows what other VCSs in
order to keep up with the various projects I like to keep up with.

The discussion here has been compelling, however. I see these benefits:

1) Better merge. svn merge does suck, so that would be great. It sounds
like it may well get better, but no time soon.

2) Easier to to create sub-versions of the main tree -- experimental
projects that groups of folks can work on. I started out, from reading
Linus' note, thinking that that was really only beneficial for
kernel-scale projects, but I now see that it could be nice for much
smaller scale projects as well. I do still think scipy could probably
support the few of those that will really happen with svn branches, but
then we're back to that merge problem again!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov