[Numpy-discussion] Nasty bug using pre-initialized arrays

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:53:41 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 2:37 PM, Stuart Brorson <sdb at cloud9.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Stuart Brorson wrote:

<snip>

> I realize NumPy != Matlab, but I'd wager that most users would think
> that this is the natural behavior......

Matlab support for different types was sort of kludged on. Matlab was
intended for computational convenience, not control of data types, and
started out as pretty much all doubles and double complex, it didn't
(doesn't?) even have integers. NumPy is a bit closer to the metal and
support for different data types has been there from the start, but that
extra power means you have to devote a bit more thought to what you are
doing.

Chuck