[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 4 06:54:13 EST 2008

dmitrey wrote:
> As for me, I would wait until DVCS became more popular than svn. Jump
> often from one VSC to another isn't a good idea, moreover, it's not
> clear for now which DVCS will suppress others and became standard (being
> installed in many OS by default).
I don't think one will become standard. Git will stay for sure, since it
is used and developers by kernel hackers; it is used by at least two big
open source projects: linux and xorg (as well as many freedesktop
projects). bzr is pushed really hard by Canonical, and I don't think
Canonical will be going away soon. Mercurial is used by Sun for all its
open sourced projects. I don't see why this would be a problem.

On Linux, getting open source softwares is trivial, and windows has
never been distributed with any VCS system :) Only mac os X has svn by
default (if you install the dev tools at least). But as long as binary
installers are available, I don't see that as a big problem either.

Now, the points you raised (concerning the popularity) have direct
consequences on the availability of third party tools, which certainly
is a problem to consider (GUI, etc...). As far as bzr is concerned, I
would say that's the core problem (Gui on windows, integration with trac).

> Also, I would prefer (for example my openopt) changes being available 24
> hours/day immediately after I have commit them; also, keeping them too
> long only in my HDD makes data more vulnerable - computer viruses, often
> electricity drops, other possible causes to lose data.
Nothing prevents you from putting the changes on a backup server: for
example, bzr supports the concept of sending any commited changed to a
'bound branch' automatically, to have a more svn-like workflow.

I certainly agree that changing the VCS is a big change, and requires a
lot of thinking, though. I am not suggesting to change for the next week.

cheers,

David