[Numpy-discussion] Matching 0-d arrays and NumPy scalars

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:05:42 EST 2008

Travis, after reading all the post on this thread, my comments

Fist of all, I'm definitelly +1 on your suggestion. Below my rationale.

* I believe numpy scalars should provide all possible features needed
to smooth the difference between mutable, indexable 0-d arrays and
inmutable, non-indexable builtin Python numeric types.

* Given that in the context of generic multi-dimensional array
processing a 0-d array are more natural and useful concept that a
Python 'int' and 'float', I really think that numpy scalars shoud
follow as much as possible the behavior of 0-d arrays (of course,
retaining inmutability).

* Numpy scalars already have (thanks for that!) a very, very similar
API to ndarrays. You can as for 'size', 'shape', etc ( BTW, why
scalar.fill(x) does not generate any error????). Why do not add
indexing as well?

* However, I'm not sure about the proposal of supporting len(), I'm -0
on this point. Anyway, if this is added, then 0-d arrays should also
have to support it. And then... len(scalar) or len(0-d-array) is going
to return 0 (zero)?

Regards.