[Numpy-discussion] C Extensions, CTypes and "external code & libraries"

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 09:25:02 EST 2008

First, thanks to all who answered my questions about
trying to use a large library with CTypes and my own
shared library.  The bottom line seems to be this:
There is no way to incorporate code external to your
own shared library.  You have to either pull out the
code you want from the static library's source
(painful) or you must just include the whole library
(huge!) and make it all one big shared library.

Did I get that right?  If so, it's a sad statement
that makes shared libraries harder to write and works
against the reuse of older established code bases.  I
am not criticizing CTypes.  This appears to be the way
static and shared libraries work, especially on Mac OS
X, maybe elsewhere.

I'd really like to be wrong about this and I will
follow up on some of the suggested reading you all
gave me.

Thanks, again.

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.