[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and C++ integration...

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 15:49:58 EST 2008

--- Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Lou Pecora wrote:
> > would recommend using the C API
>
> I would recommend against this -- there is a lot of
> code to write in
> extensions to make sure you do reference counting,
> etc, and it is hard
> to get right.

Well, fair enough to some extent, but I didn't find it
so hard after I did a few.   I will speak for myself
here.  The reason I went to the C API is because I
tried several of the routes you suggest and I could
not get any of them to work.  And you're right, the C
API is boilerplate.  That also argues for using it.

So, for those looking for speed up through some
external C or C++ code, I would say (trying to be fair
here), try what Chris recommends below, if you want,
but IMHO, none of it is trivial.  If you get it to
work, great.  If not, you have the fall back of the C
API.

> ctypes
> pyrex
> SWIG
> SIP
> Boost::python

I tried all of these except SIP and got nowhere.  So
maybe others will be a lot smarter than I.

> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.