[Numpy-discussion] An idea for future numpy windows installers

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 05:13:53 EST 2008

Hi,

  While studying a bit nsis (an open source system to build windows
installers), I realized that it would be good if we could detect the
target CPU and install the right numpy accordingly. I have coded a
nsis plugin to detect SSE availability (no SSE vs SSE vs SSE2 vs SS3),
and including installers within the nsis installer is easy. What would
people think about including the installers generated with the current
method (bdist_wininst, I guess ?) for every CPU target, and distribute
the bundled installer ? The only drawback I can see is the size of the
installer: in this case, we could have a system which download the
right installer, but that would be more work, obviously.
  This seems like an easy, "not too much work required" solution to
the recurrent problem we get with atlas on windows.

  cheers,

  David