[Numpy-discussion] Possible new multiplication operators for Python

Sebastien Loisel loisel at temple.edu
Tue Aug 19 18:19:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

Just a quick note to let you guys know that I'm the one who most
recently revived the discussion on python-dev.

My needs are research and teaching in mathematics. So ideally, the
programming notation should require only minimal explanations, and
(equally importantly), it should be easy to set up your programming
environment so that you can type your programs in. I like the PEP225
very much. I don't like @ operators because the @ is too large and I
find it hard to read. ~ operators are fine (the dotted operators are
fine too). I don't like unicode operators because they are hard to set
up (I have no idea how), and also I'm wary of APL. Most of the unicode
operators that were proposed on this list got rendered as indistinct
blobs in my firefox. (Screenshot attached, I don't know if the mailing
list will allow it -- if not, the picture is here:
http://www.math.temple.edu/~loisel/unicode-operators.png)

Sincerely,

--
Sébastien Loisel