[Numpy-discussion] numpy.fromstring() : error handling ?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sat Aug 9 17:00:16 EDT 2008

Fri, 08 Aug 2008 23:18:29 -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> oc-spam66 wrote:
[clip fromfile/fromstring bugs]

So that we won't forget this, a summary ticket is here:
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/883

Another fromfile/fromstring problem, this time related to locales:
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/884

Similar problem, but due to platform representation of inf/nan:
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/510

I think we really ought to raise a ValueError if malformed data is
encountered (before count is reached, or before EOF if no count), rather
than truncating the result or returning zeros or garbage.

This is of course an API change...

--
Pauli Virtanen