[Numpy-discussion] Generating Bell Curves (was: Using normal() )

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 25 15:25:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Charles R Harris wrote:

> You can use something like f(x) = (1-x**2)**2 , which has inflection
> points and vanishes at +/- 1. Any of the B-splines will also do the trick.

Chuck,

   Thank you. I need to make some time to understand the B-splines to use
them appropriately. Unfortunately, my mathematical statistics learning was
many years in the past ... but we had moved ahead of writing on clay tablets
by that time. Not needing to retain that knowledge for many years means it
was replaced by more pressing current knowledge. The B-splines do look
promising, though.

Rich