[Numpy-discussion] numpy release

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Apr 25 09:40:51 EDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Stefan van der Walt apparently wrote:
> Yup.  That's the current state of things.

I do not understand.
The released "state of things" is that for matrix ``x``
we have that ``x[0]`` is a **matrix**.

I'm not working with SVN NumPy, but my understanding
was that as of revision r5072 ``x[0]`` always
returns a 1d array.  The core requirement was that
``x[0][0]`` produce the first element of the matrix.

I do not have time to look at the revision right now,
but if a matrix ``x`` we have that ``x[0]``
can return a scalar, that is very undesirable.

Cheers,
Alan