[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Thu Apr 17 01:30:33 EDT 2008

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
>
>> I am sorry, I don't see why you prioritize "x[i][j] == x[i,j]" (1) more than
>> "x[0] == x[0,:]" (2).
>>

> Well the quick answer is:
> use matrices for awhile,
> and I expect you will see why,
> and teach them for awhile, and
> I am quite sure you will see why.

I have mixed feelings on all of this discussion.  I do want to make
sure, however, that two ideas are considered:

1) How will sparse matrices behave?  It seems to me that the matrix
object and sparse matrices should behave identically if at all possible.
2) How much code will break if we change the current behavior.

Regarding (1),

What does x[0] return when x is a sparse matrix?

-Travis