[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Tue Apr 15 04:40:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
>  >
>  > So, to summarize one more time:
>  > """
>  > What used to be talked about as "1.1" will now become "1.2" ---
>  > and "1.0.5" will be "1.1"
>  > """
>  >
>  > Did I get this right !?
>  >
>  > I'm curious to know _which_ were the changes that break the API. I
>  > thought all additions like "axis=0" were made without breaking the
>  > backwards compatibility. Otherwise it would (should !!!) have been
>  > added as "axis=None".
>
>  The new masked array has significant different behaviour than the old
>  one, for once. This may be the biggest change for the formally known as
>  1.0.5. Personally, I think focusing on version number is wrong: what
>  matters is API changes/compatibility, and how we handle it. Everything
>  else is just nitpicking.

How about releasing 1.0.5 without the new masked array,
i.e.
1. put back the old masked array and release as 1.0.5
2. then release 1.1.0 with the new masked array
3. start working on 1.2 by unifying the arguments, "np.resize", and
other things alike.

--Sebastian