[Numpy-discussion] Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 19, Issue, 44

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Thu Apr 10 14:09:23 EDT 2008

Hi Robert et al.,

> Please do not respond to digest messages. If you want to respond to
> messages, subscribe to receive messages individually. Respond to the
> just messages you are interested in and keep the Subject lines intact.

Just a suggestion, which I hope doesn't annoy anyone :-).

I receive the NumPy and SciPy digests because the amount of traffic
on the lists is so high and my time to keep up with them is so limited
(there is probably a way to filter emails in Thunderbird that would
work, but I still have to figure that out). I found a way to reply to
posts from the digest that is fiddly but avoids the problem that
Robert points out, for occasional posters...

  1. Press reply
  2. Copy the subject line from the original email you want to reply
     to and paste it over the subject line in the new email window.
  3. Copy the "Message-ID" string from the original email you are
     replying to and paste it into both a "References:" line and a
     "In-Reply-To:" line in the message header (where you specify
     the recipients etc.).

I hope I got that right, since it's been a while... In order to get
"References:" and "In-Reply-To:" in the pull-down boxes in Thunderbird,
I had to add an entry in the prefs.js file of my profile as follows:

   user_pref("mail.compose.other.header", "References,In-Reply-To");

Sorry to perpetuate the subject line, but I did keep it intact! Hope
that helps someone (and keeps everyone happy).

Cheers,

James.