[Numpy-discussion] packaging scipy (was Re: Simple financial functions for NumPy)

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Apr 7 12:57:40 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:22:28PM +0200, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> You're only a beginner for a short while, and after that the lack of
> namespaces really start to bite.  I am all in favour of catering for
> those who are busy learning numpy, but should we do that at the cost
> of our advanced users?

I agree with you. However lowering the bar is a good thing.

> There must be a way to make both groups happy -- any suggestions?

Hum, I am still trying to find ideas. If only "from foo.bar import baz"
didn't import all what is in foo.__init__ !!! By the way, the standard
solution to this problem is to use a module called "api" and not "all".
That's what people have been doing to solve the problem we are faced
with. If we are going to go this way, I suggest we stick to the "api"
convention (eventhought it sucks).

Cheers,

Gaël