[Numpy-discussion] Final push for NumPy 1.0.5 (I need your help!)

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Apr 6 15:55:44 EDT 2008

On 06/04/2008, Alan G Isaac <aisaac at american.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008, James Philbin apparently wrote:
>  > OK, here's a patch for:
>  > #718: Bug with numpy.float32.tolist
>

> My impression has always been that to ensure
>  a patch gets appropriate consideration it
>  should be attached to a ticket...

And, more importantly, it should be accompanied by a test (I'm guilty
on the float to string ticket mentioned above).  The test not only
verifies the patch's correct behaviour, but also guides the reviewer
in understanding possible use cases, as well as illustrating calling
convention.  Anything that saves the reviewer time improves your
chances of having the patch accepted.  Finally, it is also considerate
of his/her time: you wrote the patch and recently reviewed the code,
so writing a test takes you much less time than it would the reviewer.

That being said, I am very happy with the quality of patches recently
submitted by, amongst others, Pauli, Anne, David and Christoph.  Your
efforts are very much appreciated.

Regards
Stéfan