[Numpy-discussion] missing function in numpy.ma?

Charles Doutriaux doutriaux1 at llnl.gov
Thu Apr 3 15:24:37 EDT 2008

Travis, Pierre,

Goood news what's in trunk right now seems to work great with our stuff,
I only had to replace numpy.core.ma.take with numpy.ma.take
(numpy.oldnumeric.ma.take didn't seem to work)

So as soon as 1.0.5 is out, I'll start working toward using numpy.ma only.

Also, I have one little request, i remember you said oldnumeric would be
gone in the next version. But our users will have hundreds (thousands?)
of script convert with "import numpy.oldnumeric.ma as MA" or "import
numpy.oldnumeric as Numeric"
And although we're insisting and using numpy and numpy.ma right away,
i'm sure 99% of them will ignore this. So would be be horrible to leave
as shortcut (with a warning while loading probably, actually we could
have the warning already in numpy 1.0.5 ?) from numpy.oldnumeric back to
numpy ? same for oldnumeric.ma pointing back to numpy.ma. I realize it's
not really clean... At least it would be great to have the warning
raised in 1.0.5 that it will disappear in 1.1. Like that users might be
more inclined to start converting "cleaninly"

Thanks for considering this and also thanks a LOT for all your help on
this issue!

C.