[Numpy-discussion] Numpy installation

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 17:36:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Amit Itagi <aitagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> This directory is just the Python source distribution (post configure and
> make). I don't have root permissions to our cluster and the default python
> distribution is an older one. Hence, I have my custom Python distribution in
> this /Python-2.5.2/ directory. The binary is /Python-2.5.2/python .

Okay, don't do that. You will have to actually install Python to
another location. For example, make a directory ~/python2.5/. Now go
to the Python source directory; it would probably be best to start
with a clean one. Configure Python using ~/python2.5 as the prefix:

  $ ./configure --prefix=~/python2.5

Now "make" and "make install". Add ~/python2.5/bin to your $PATH,
preferably before /usr/bin or wherever the old python executable is.
Build and install numpy using the ~/python2.5/bin/python binary. You
should not need to set the --prefix.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."