[Numpy-discussion] how to include numpy headers when building an extension?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Sep 12 01:55:09 EDT 2007

David M. Cooke wrote:

> I work on it off and on. As you say, it's not trivial :-) It also has
> a tendency to be fragile, so large changes are harder. Something will work
> for me, then I merge it into the trunk, and it breaks on half-a-dozen
> platforms that I can't test on :-) So, it's slow going.
>
> I've got a list of my current goals at
> http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/DistutilsRevamp.

Would some contribution help ? Or is distutils such a beast that working
together on it would be counter productive ? The things I had in mind were:
    - add the possibility to build shared libraries usable by ctypes (I
just have a problem to start: I do not know how to add a new command to
numpy.distutils)
    - provides an interface to be able to know how numpy/scipy was
configured (for example: is numpy compiled with ATLAS, Apple perf
libraries, GOTO, fftw, etc...)
    - add the possibility to build several object files differently (one
of your goal if I remember correctly)

cheers,

David