[Numpy-discussion] numpy : your experiences?

Yves Revaz yves.revaz at obspm.fr
Fri Nov 23 04:19:06 EST 2007

Rahul Garg wrote:

>a) Can you guys tell me briefly about the kind of problems you are
>tackling with numpy and scipy?

Reduction of large N-body simulations of astrophysical gravitational
systems (N up to 268 millions).
See http://aramis.obspm.fr/~revaz/pNbody/.

>b) Have you ever felt that numpy/scipy was slow and had to switch to
>C/C++/Fortran?

Some specific functions are missing in numpy and a pure python
implementation
is too slow. In that case, I implement the specific function in C, as a
python module.

>c) Do you use any form of parallel processing? Multicores? SMPs?
>Clusters? If yes how did u utilize them?

Yes, my toolbox is now nearly completely parallelized with mpi4py.
Some parallelization parts are also implemented in C modules.
It works fine on beowulf clusters, multicores or smps.

--
                                                (o o)
  77 av Denfert-Rochereau    e-mail : yves.revaz at obspm.fr
  F-75014 Paris              Web : http://obswww.unige.ch/~revaz/