[Numpy-discussion] matrix problem: float to matrix power

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Nov 1 15:20:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Timothy Hochberg apparently wrote:
> because M**n results in the matrix power of n. It would be
> confusing if n**M did a broadcast element wise power.

In an attempt to summarize:
scalar to a matrix power

1. may have been overlooked, or may have been omitted as
confusing
2. if overlooked there are two possible answers as to what
it could reasonably be
        a. a**m = exp(ln(a)*m)          natural definition
        b. a**m = a**m.A                broadcasting

In languages that provide an answer, I have the impression
that the answer is usually (b).  (E.g., GAUSS.)  However
perhaps in NumPy this is the least interesting way to go?
But it is what I was expecting.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac