[Numpy-discussion] SciPy Journal

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu May 31 12:53:16 EDT 2007

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

> For this point, I have the same opinion as Anne :
> - having an equivalence between cde and article is raising the entry
> level, but as Anne said, some code could be somehow too trivial ?
> - a peer-review process implies that an article can be rejected, so
> the code is accepted, but not the article and vice-versa ?

I would like to avoid that.  In my mind the SciPy Journal should reflect
code that is actually available in the PyLab world.   But, I could see
having code that is not written about in the journal (the current state,
for example...)

> - perhaps encouraging new contributors to propose an article would be
> a solution ?

> I could talk about the design I proposed for generic optimizer, and
> hopefully I'll have some other generic modules that could be exposed.
> But it's not in scipy, and it's not an official scikit at the moment.
> How long should it be - some journals have limits in size, so... - ?

In my mind, we electronically publish something every 6 months to start
with and then go from there.   The "publication" process amounts to a
peer-review check on the work, a basic quality check on the type-setting
(we will require authors to do their own typesetting), and then a
listing of the articles for the specific edition.   Page size is not as
important as "file size."   Each article should be under a few MB.

-Travis