[Numpy-discussion] Documentation

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon May 14 10:48:14 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I've been trying out epydoc to see how things look. Apart from all the error
messages, it does run. However, I didn't like the appearance of the
documentation structured as suggested in numpy/doc, either in the terminal
or in the generated html. In particular, I didn't like the consolidated
lists and the interpreted variable names. I can see where these might be
useful down the road, but for now I stuck to definition lists with
italicized headings and plain old variable names.

Another problem we might want to address are the doctest blocks. Numpy
inserts blank lines when it is printing out multidimensional arrays and
because blank lines indicate the end of the block that screws up the
formatting. It would also be nice to make the SeeAlso entries links to
relevant functions.

Anyway, I've attached the html file generated from fromnumeric.py for your
flamage and suggestions. The routines I restructured are sort, argsort,
searchsorted, diagonal, std, var, and mean.

Chuck