[Numpy-discussion] Possible Numeric bug with python-2.5

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Thu May 3 03:13:09 EDT 2007

El dc 02 de 05 del 2007 a les 14:31 -0400, en/na Pierre GM va escriure:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 14:15:06 Fernando Perez wrote:
> > On 5/2/07, Darren Dale <dd55 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > > I know Numeric is no longer supported, but I just upgraded to python-2.5
> > > and now I'm having problems indexing Numeric arrays:
> >
> > Fine on 32-bit ubuntu, using Python 2.5:
>
> > But I think that Numeric isn't 100% 64-bit safe (perhaps when run
> > under Python 2.5).
>
> My understanding is that Python 2.5 started using Py_ssize_t instead of int,
> to increase the number of data that can be handled on 64b. We just observed
> that w/ the timeseries package: a int in the C API prevented a dictionary to
> be initialized properly on Python 2.5, which prevented the package to be
> loaded properly.

Yeah, that's probably the cause of the malfunction in 64-bit processors.
I've also been bitten by this:

http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2006-November/024428.html

So, Numeric is currently unsable for Python 2.5 and 64-bit platforms and
probably will allways be that way.

Cheers,

--
Francesc Altet    |  Be careful about using the following code --
Carabos Coop. V.  |  I've only proven that it works,