[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question (final post)

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Mar 28 17:46:25 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 05:25:57PM -0500, Alan Isaac wrote:
> given the surprising passion of the attacks at the
> suggestion that perhaps iteration over a matrix might more
> consistently yield arrays, I presumed there must be *many*
> instances in which it was obviously desirable that such
> iteration should yield matrices.  So I asked to see some.

Matrices strike me as a bit of an anomaly.  I would expect an
N-dimensional container to contain (N-1)-dimensional objects.  But
matrices cannot have dimensions less than 2, (and in numpy, can't have
dimensions higher than 2).  So, to me these operations don't make much
sense.  Is a matrix then more of a collection of matrices than a
container of matrices?

I'm glad we have the ndarray concept in numpy where these concepts
consistently make sense.

Cheers
Stéfan