[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Mar 27 15:11:36 EDT 2007

Alan Isaac wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> It actually has been offered.   You just don't accept it.
>> Matrices are containers of matrices.
>> If M is an (mxn) matrix then M[0] is a (1xn) matrix.
>> Viewing this 1xn matrix as a 1-d array loses it's row-vectorness.
>> This seems perfectly logical and acceptable to me.  I'm waiting for a
>> better explanation as to why this is not acceptable.
>> Arguments that rest on what is and what isn't "Pythonic" are not very
>> persuasive as this is very often in the eye of the beholder.
>>

> Again, I only raised a *question* about whether
> there might be a design problem here.

Thanks for listing your points.   I can see that this is an issue where
reasonable people will disagree because there are multiple ways of
looking at it.

The idea that matrix selection would return matrices really comes from
wanting to keep matrices more persistent through operations.

M[0]  could be seen either as a 1xn matrix or a n-length array.   I
agree that both concepts are possible.  Seeing it as a 1xn matrix allows
matrices to remain persistent more often.

So, the arguments for the current approach and the arguments against it
to me seem on the same level, so I don't see a reason to change the
current behavior and see a lot of strong reasons not to change the
behavior (we are in a 1.0 release and could not change anything until at
least 1.1 anyway).

With that said:

One of my goals for the next year or two is to create a matrix class in
C and incorporate CVXOPT matrices and it's coupled sparse matrix.    We
can re-visit this question in that process.  I would like for there to
be a sparse matrix implementation in NumPy (without the solver which
will remain in SciPy).

But, the sparse matrix and the matrix need to have the same behaviors
and should be able to interoperate with each other.

So, if you would like to help with that project all input is welcome.

Best regards,

-Travis