[Numpy-discussion] Detect subclass of ndarray

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sat Mar 24 19:10:12 EDT 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Anne Archibald apparently wrote:
> Note that taking a vector and left-multiplying it by
> a matrix is a very natural operation that won't work any
> more if you treat all vectors as if they were row vectors.

Can you be more specific on this "naturalness"?
What is the cost of being explicit (in actual practice)?

I am inclined to claim that this seems "natural" to us only
when we abuse language and forget that our column vectors
and row vectors are in fact matrices with two dimensions/axes.

In what situation does a need or major convenience
from being so implicit arise?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac